Showing 10 results

Authority record
Women's College Hospital

Women's College Hospital. Department of Family and Community Medicine

  • WCH001
  • Corporate body
  • 1956 -

The Department of Family and Community Medicine was established at Women’s College Hospital in 1956. The Department operates the Family Practice Health Centre, an ambulatory care unit. In 1964, Dr. Jean Davey, Chief of Medicine, introduced a family practice teaching unit within the Department of Family and Community Medicine to train family physicians. In 1956, Dr. Bette Stephenson (1956-1965) was appointed the Department's first Family-Physician-in-Chief. She was followed by Dr. Shanna Gimbert (1965-1969); Dr. Marjorie Swanson (1969-1972); Dr. Yvonne deBuda; Dr. Hollister King (1982-1992) and Dr. James Ruderman (1992- ). Today, the Department continues to operate the Family Practice Health Centre at Women's College Hospital which provides care for women and men of all age groups. It is one of the largest clinics in Ontario, providing more than 54,000 visits per year to patients.

Women's College Hospital. Department of Emergency Medicine

  • WCH002
  • Corporate body
  • 1981 - 1993

The Department of Emergency Medicine of Women's College Hospital was officially established in 1981. Prior to the formation of the Department, patients received emergency care in the hospital’s Outpatient Department staffed by members of the Department of General Practice. In 1971, due to the high volume of emergency cases, Women's College Hospital established a separate Emergency Department under the leadership of Dr. Yvonne deBuda. In 1981 after review, the Emergency Department External Review Committee recommended that the existing Emergency Department fall under the direction of a distinct organizational entity staffed by full-time physicians and a Chief who would be a full-time member of the hospital's Medical Advisory Committee. In July 1981, the Department of Emergency Medicine was established under Dr. John W. Letts, Chief of Emergency Medicine (1981-1993). On April 30, 1987 the Urgent Care Centre officially opened, replacing the Emergency Department. In 1993 the Department of Emergency Medicine was dissolved.

Women's College Hospital. Department of Anatomic Pathology

  • WCH003
  • Corporate body
  • 2006 -

The Department of Anatomic Pathology of Women's College Hospital was officially established in 2006. In 1920, pathology was part of the Department of Laboratories under Dr. Vivian Marvin Laughlen (1920-1945) as the Chief of Laboratories. Dr. Laughlen was followed by Dr. Eva Mader MacDonald (1945-1952); Dr. Alice Gray (1952-1980) and Dr. Ali H. Qizilbash (1980-1981). In 1981 the Department of Laboratories was divided into 2 new departments: the Department of Clinical Laboratories and the Department of Pathology. In 1981 Dr. Lynn From (1981-1992) was appointed Chief of Pathology, followed by Dr. Weded Hanna in 1992 (1992- ). In 2006 the Department of Pathology was divided into 2 new departments: Anatomic Pathology and Clinical Pathology.

Women's College Hospital. Department of Anaesthesia

  • WCH004
  • Corporate body
  • 1914 -

The Department of Anaesthesia of Women's College Hospital was formally established in 1914 under Dr. Margaret McCallum-Johnston, a graduate of the Ontario Medical College for Women, predecessor to Women’s College Hospital. Dr. McCallum-Johnston (1914-1935) held the position of Chief of Anaesthesia until 1935 and was then followed by Dr. Hannah Reid (1926-1931) and Dr. Ellen Blatchford (1931-1956); Dr. Evelyn Bateman (1956-1972); Dr. Edith Rogoman (1972-1982); Dr. Bronwen Gates (1982-1988) and Dr. Jean Kronberg (1988- ). In 1969, the Department of Anaesthesia was officially affiliated with the University of Toronto. The Department remains one of Women's College Hospital's first and longest running medical departments.

Women's College Hospital. Division of Ophthalmology

  • WCH005
  • Corporate body
  • 1914 -

The Division of Ophthalmology began at Women's College Hospital in the 1910s as a weekly eye clinic held in the Outpatient Department. In 1941, a Department of Ophthalmology was formally established with Dr. Mary Albertson (1941-1969) as its Chief. In the late 1950s the Department of Ophthalmology was re-established as a division of the Department of Surgery. Today, the Division of Ophthalmology is still active at Women's College Hospital.

Women's College Hospital. Division of Dermatology

  • WCH006
  • Corporate body
  • 1946 -

In 1946, under the Department of Medicine, Women's College Hospital established its first formal dermatology program, an outpatient clinic that was held twice a week. That year, Dr. Ricky Kanee Schachter was appointed Head of the newly formed Division of Dermatology. Under her leadership the program expanded to include the Phototherapy Education and Research Centre (PERC), launched in 1976. After Dr. Schachter's retirement in 1985 the Department operated under the leadership of the the following Heads of the Division of Dermatology: Dr. Colin Ramsay (1986-1990); Dr. Gary Sibbald (1991-1993) and Dr. Lynn From (1993-2000). In 1991 the Ricky Kanee Schachter Dermatology Centre was launched at Women's College Hospital. Today the Dermatology program is comprised of three main components:The Ricky Kanee Schachter Dermatology Centre; Dermatology Day Care and Wound-Healing Clinic and the Phototherapy Education and Research Centre (PERC).

Women's College Hospital. Department of Surgery

  • WCH007
  • Corporate body
  • 1915 -

The Department of Surgery at Women's College Hospital was established in 1915 under the leadership Dr. Minerva Reid (1915-1926), Chief of Surgery. By 1920, the department was performing approximately 500 operations per year. The Department was next headed by the following Surgeons-in-Chiefs: Dr. Edna Guest (1926-1931); Dr. Kathleen Bartley (1931-1946); Dr. Jessie Gray (1946-1964); Dr. Marjorie Davis (1965-1976); Dr. Robert D. Henderson (1976-1988); Dr. Lavina Lickley (1988-1999). In 1999, Women's College Hospital amalgamated with Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre and the Orthopedic and Arthritic Institute to form Sunnybrook & Women’s College Hospital. During this time period, Women’s College Campus continued to maintain a Chief of Surgery. On April 1, 2006, Women's College Hospital regained its independent governance and became Ontario’s first and only ambulatory care hospital. The Ambulatory Surgical Services Program at Women's College Hospital performs a variety of surgical procedures including general surgery, plastic surgery focusing on breast cancer & breast reconstruction and urological procedures under the leadership of Dr. John Semple, Chief of Surgery.

Women's College Hospital. Department of Psychiatry

  • WCH008
  • Corporate body
  • 1961 -

The Department of Psychiatry at Women's College Hospital was established in 1961 under Dr. Lois Plumb (1961-1973), Chief of Psychiatry. Prior to its establishment, the hospital retained a psychiatrist on staff through the Department of Medicine during the 1950s. Following Dr. Plumb, Dr. A.G. Swayze (1973-1974) was appointed Acting Chief of Psychiatry in 1973 and was followed by Dr. G. Anthony Ives (1974-1984), Dr. Howard E. Book (1984-1995), Dr. Peter Nynkowski (1996), Dr. Barbara Dorian (1997-1999) and Dr. Anthony Levitt (2006- ).

Women's College Hospital. Department of Microbiology

  • WCH009
  • Corporate body
  • 1920 -

In 1920 Women’s College Hospital established the Department of Laboratories and Dr. Vivian Marvin Laughlen (1920-1945) was appointed Chief of Laboratories. In 1945 Dr. Laughlen was followed by Dr. Eva Mader MacDonald (1945-1952); Dr. Alice Gray (1952-1980) and Dr. Ali H. Qizilbash (1980-1981). In 1981 the Department of Laboratories was divided into 2 new departments: the Department of Clinical Laboratories and the Department of Pathology. Dr. Kathleen Givan (1981-1992) was appointed Chief of Clinical Laboratories and was followed by Dr. Mary Vearncombe (1993-1999). In 1999 the name of the department was changed to the Department of Microbiology and Dr. Andrew Simor (1999- ) was named Chief of Microbiology.

Women's College Hospital. Department of Medical Imaging

  • WCH010
  • Corporate body
  • 1920 -

The Department of Radiology of Women's College Hospital was established in 1920 under the hospital's first radiologist Dr. Elizabeth L. Stewart (1920-1954). Following Dr. Stewart, Dr. Elizabeth Forbes (1955-1975) was appointed the next Radiologist-in-Chief in 1955 and was followed by Dr. Terrance P. Connor (1975-1988), Dr. Eve Fishnell (1988-1996) and Dr. Katherine Fong (1997-1999). In 1990 the Department of Radiology was expanded to include a newly formed Division of Nuclear Medicine. In 1995 the department was renamed the Department of Medical Imaging and was reorganized to include a Division of Radiology & Ultrasound. In 2006, Dr. Alan Moody was appointed Radiologist-in-Chief of the Department of Medical Imaging.