Showing 181 results

Authority record

Yukon Dog Mushers Association

  • YDMA
  • Corporate body
  • 1973-

The YDMA has administrative relationships with the International Sled Dog Racing Association, the Yukon Sourdough Rendezvous Committee and Alaskan dog mushing associations. The YDMA has an executive and board of directors. Past presidents have been: Paul Sheridan, 1973-1975; Elmer Bankhead, 1978; Ken Weagle, 1982.; Secretaries have been: J.B. Fitzgerald, 1964; Marion Elden, 1968-1973; Jan Couture, 1975; Pam Buckway, 1982. Function: The object of the YDMA is to promote dog sled racing in the Yukon Territory and to promote and improve the class and type of dogs and equipment. The Association organizes and operates dog sled races and one dog pulls, and especially the dog sled races and mushers parade at the Sourdough Rendezvous. They also acquire land for and maintain permanent trails and facilities.

Moulton, Aaron

  • YCNYA-AC001
  • Person
  • 1859-1938

Aaron Moulton was born on November 17, 1859 and he left for the Klondike in August 1897, leaving behind a wife and children. He arrived in Dawson City, Yukon on September 15, 1897 and spent the winter of 1897, and spring and early summer of 1898, mining before returning to Tacoma, Washington in July or August 1898.

King, A. Richard, 1919-2005

  • YA007
  • Person
  • 1919 - 2005

A. (Alfred) Richard King first came to the territory in 1939 when he was attempting to establish a new bush airline in Alaska and the Yukon Territory. Unfortunately, King and his two partners lost their plane and equipment when they crashed in Teslin Lake while on their way to Alaska from the United States. They were rescued by residents of the First Nation village of Teslin, the only community on the lake. King returned to the states after spending 6 weeks in Teslin. After the war King graduated from Western Washington College and became an elementary school teacher in Washington. In 1949 he went to Saipan and taught for a year and then remained in the Trust Territory of the Pacific (Islands) for the next five years teaching and administering the development of the native elementary schools in the islands. He continued to develop his interest in applied anthropology and its relevance to educational administration and educational assistance programs. In 1964 he was granted a PhD degree at Stanford, his major fields of study were education and cultural anthropology. In 1963-1964 King spent a year as a fourth-grade teacher and participant-observer at Chooutla (Carcross) Residential School in Carcross, Yukon and this resulted in his doctoral dissertation. In 1967 he published "The School at Mopass: a problem of identity" which was based on his thesis. In 2005 he was living in Brentwood Bay, B.C. with his son Peter and grandsons. Dr. King died August 14, 2005.

Wilfrid Laurier University Women's Association

  • WLUWA-01
  • Corporate body
  • 1960 - 1993

Wilfrid Laurier University Women's Association (1960-1993) was a social group for female faculty and administrators as well as the wives of faculty members of Waterloo Lutheran University (now Wilfrid Laurier University) in Waterloo, Ontario. Its purpose was to welcome new members, develop social events and foster member participation in University and community affairs. The group was established under the name of Faculty Wives, which was changed to Waterloo Lutheran University Women's Association, and later to the Wilfrid Laurier University Women's Association.

Women's College Hospital. Department of Medical Imaging

  • WCH010
  • Corporate body
  • 1920 -

The Department of Radiology of Women's College Hospital was established in 1920 under the hospital's first radiologist Dr. Elizabeth L. Stewart (1920-1954). Following Dr. Stewart, Dr. Elizabeth Forbes (1955-1975) was appointed the next Radiologist-in-Chief in 1955 and was followed by Dr. Terrance P. Connor (1975-1988), Dr. Eve Fishnell (1988-1996) and Dr. Katherine Fong (1997-1999). In 1990 the Department of Radiology was expanded to include a newly formed Division of Nuclear Medicine. In 1995 the department was renamed the Department of Medical Imaging and was reorganized to include a Division of Radiology & Ultrasound. In 2006, Dr. Alan Moody was appointed Radiologist-in-Chief of the Department of Medical Imaging.

Women's College Hospital. Department of Microbiology

  • WCH009
  • Corporate body
  • 1920 -

In 1920 Women’s College Hospital established the Department of Laboratories and Dr. Vivian Marvin Laughlen (1920-1945) was appointed Chief of Laboratories. In 1945 Dr. Laughlen was followed by Dr. Eva Mader MacDonald (1945-1952); Dr. Alice Gray (1952-1980) and Dr. Ali H. Qizilbash (1980-1981). In 1981 the Department of Laboratories was divided into 2 new departments: the Department of Clinical Laboratories and the Department of Pathology. Dr. Kathleen Givan (1981-1992) was appointed Chief of Clinical Laboratories and was followed by Dr. Mary Vearncombe (1993-1999). In 1999 the name of the department was changed to the Department of Microbiology and Dr. Andrew Simor (1999- ) was named Chief of Microbiology.

Women's College Hospital. Department of Psychiatry

  • WCH008
  • Corporate body
  • 1961 -

The Department of Psychiatry at Women's College Hospital was established in 1961 under Dr. Lois Plumb (1961-1973), Chief of Psychiatry. Prior to its establishment, the hospital retained a psychiatrist on staff through the Department of Medicine during the 1950s. Following Dr. Plumb, Dr. A.G. Swayze (1973-1974) was appointed Acting Chief of Psychiatry in 1973 and was followed by Dr. G. Anthony Ives (1974-1984), Dr. Howard E. Book (1984-1995), Dr. Peter Nynkowski (1996), Dr. Barbara Dorian (1997-1999) and Dr. Anthony Levitt (2006- ).

Women's College Hospital. Department of Surgery

  • WCH007
  • Corporate body
  • 1915 -

The Department of Surgery at Women's College Hospital was established in 1915 under the leadership Dr. Minerva Reid (1915-1926), Chief of Surgery. By 1920, the department was performing approximately 500 operations per year. The Department was next headed by the following Surgeons-in-Chiefs: Dr. Edna Guest (1926-1931); Dr. Kathleen Bartley (1931-1946); Dr. Jessie Gray (1946-1964); Dr. Marjorie Davis (1965-1976); Dr. Robert D. Henderson (1976-1988); Dr. Lavina Lickley (1988-1999). In 1999, Women's College Hospital amalgamated with Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre and the Orthopedic and Arthritic Institute to form Sunnybrook & Women’s College Hospital. During this time period, Women’s College Campus continued to maintain a Chief of Surgery. On April 1, 2006, Women's College Hospital regained its independent governance and became Ontario’s first and only ambulatory care hospital. The Ambulatory Surgical Services Program at Women's College Hospital performs a variety of surgical procedures including general surgery, plastic surgery focusing on breast cancer & breast reconstruction and urological procedures under the leadership of Dr. John Semple, Chief of Surgery.

Women's College Hospital. Division of Dermatology

  • WCH006
  • Corporate body
  • 1946 -

In 1946, under the Department of Medicine, Women's College Hospital established its first formal dermatology program, an outpatient clinic that was held twice a week. That year, Dr. Ricky Kanee Schachter was appointed Head of the newly formed Division of Dermatology. Under her leadership the program expanded to include the Phototherapy Education and Research Centre (PERC), launched in 1976. After Dr. Schachter's retirement in 1985 the Department operated under the leadership of the the following Heads of the Division of Dermatology: Dr. Colin Ramsay (1986-1990); Dr. Gary Sibbald (1991-1993) and Dr. Lynn From (1993-2000). In 1991 the Ricky Kanee Schachter Dermatology Centre was launched at Women's College Hospital. Today the Dermatology program is comprised of three main components:The Ricky Kanee Schachter Dermatology Centre; Dermatology Day Care and Wound-Healing Clinic and the Phototherapy Education and Research Centre (PERC).

Women's College Hospital. Division of Ophthalmology

  • WCH005
  • Corporate body
  • 1914 -

The Division of Ophthalmology began at Women's College Hospital in the 1910s as a weekly eye clinic held in the Outpatient Department. In 1941, a Department of Ophthalmology was formally established with Dr. Mary Albertson (1941-1969) as its Chief. In the late 1950s the Department of Ophthalmology was re-established as a division of the Department of Surgery. Today, the Division of Ophthalmology is still active at Women's College Hospital.

Results 1 to 10 of 181