Chelmsford Women's Institute

Área de identidad

Tipo de entidad

Entidade coletiva

Forma autorizada del nombre

Chelmsford Women's Institute

Forma(s) paralela(s) de nombre

    Forma(s) normalizada del nombre, de acuerdo a otras reglas

      Otra(s) forma(s) de nombre

        Identificadores para instituciones

        Área de descripción

        Fechas de existencia

        1949 - 1960

        Historia

        The Chelmsford Women's Institute was founded on June 3rd, 1949. It was created by the women of Chelmsford as a branch of the pre-existing Women's Institutes in Canada, founded by Adelaide Hoodless in 1897. Mrs. Grace McCrystal (nee Vaillancourt) organized the first meeting at her home in Chelmsford and sixteen ladies attended to listen to District President, Mrs. H. Williams, and District Secretary, Mrs. J. Hamilton, explain the work and aims of the Women's Institute.

        The organization was founded as a non-partisan and non-sectarian group with the primary goal of education. Standing committees included Agriculture and Canadian Industries, Citizenship and Education, Community Activities and Public Relations, Historic Research and Current Events, Home Economics and Health, and Resolutions.

        The Women's Institute helped local families in need, usually by raising funds, donating clothing or sending flowers. They also gave monetary donations to national causes, such as the Red Cross, presented papers at meetings on the topics of agriculture, local history, geography, shopping and hygiene and hosted events for members, such as baby showers, Christmas gift exchanges and sleigh rides. The group also took it upon themselves to document the history of Chelmsford with the creation of their Tweedsmuir History Scrapbooks between 1949 and 1956. The research for these scrapbooks was undertaken by their Historic Research and Current Events Standing Committee Convener, Rose Cvitkovich.

        The Chelmsford Women's Institute officially disbanded in 1960.

        Former Presidents of the Chelmsford Women's Institute include:

        Mrs. A. Rheaume (1949 - 1950)
        Mrs. Albert DeFinney (December 1950 - April 1951)
        Mrs. Yvonne Trottier (nee Paquette) (1951 - 1952, 1953 - 1955)
        Mrs. G. Castonguay (1952)
        Mrs. R. Cvitkovich (1956)

        Lugares

        Estatuto jurídico

        Funciones, ocupaciones y actividades

        Mandatos/fuentes de autoridad

        Estructura/genealogía interna

        Contexto general

        Área de relaciones

        Área de puntos de acceso

        Puntos de acceso por materia

        Puntos de acceso por lugar

        Occupations

        Área de control

        Identificador de registro de autoridad

        036

        Identificador de la institución

        ON00120

        Reglas y/o convenciones usadas

        Estado de elaboración

        Nivel de detalle

        Fechas de creación, revisión o eliminación

        Idioma(s)

          Escritura(s)

            Fuentes

            Notas de mantención